Managing Offshore offers an interesting, short piece by an executive recruiter on what factors make for a "global leader" — somebody who can manage divisions in another country than the one from which they derive. Author Christopher J. Clarke, CEO of Boyden Global Executive Search lists five "X Factors":
- Helicopter vision — the ability to detach from markets.
- Commitment to the current assignment — vs. planning out the next promotion.
- Cultural flexibility — embracing what's local.
- Developing local talent — embracing who's local
- Political persuasiveness — encouraging local executives to think globally too.
Mr. Clarke provides some level of detail in the essay.