More on telecom SLAs, this time in the March 2005 issue of Network Magazine. Justin Castillo, who has written so well on the topic before, offers 5 tips in “Five Habits For SLA Effectiveness.” I think some of this stuff just plain applies to any SLA — telecom or otherwise.
1. “Never blindly sign the carrier’s standard agreement. A source at a major carrier revealed that 80 percent of customers sign the vendor’s standard agreement….” This can make for a one-sided agreement.
2. “Never ignore the service guide.” This is where Mr. Castillo says you’ll find many “one-sided provisions,” so don’t ignore it.
3. “Know your traffic patterns.” Don’t rely on the carrier for this information.
4. “Think long-term.” Don’t give up reasonable pricing a year from now because you’re desperate to cut costs this quarter.
5. “Be wary of strategic partnerships.” You may not be getting the best deal from your so-called “partner.”
Details aplenty in the story.