AMR Research analyst Eric Karofsky offers five tips for protecting your intellectual property when outsourcing aspects of product development.
Subject company SafeView makes security scanning equipment for national defense purposes. It has exclusive rights to patents owned by the Department of Energy but limited funds for creating prototype units of new products. So it turned to service providers for engineering help.
Here are the rules SafeView follows:
- Choose partners that complement the business strategy.
- Foster partner collaboration by letting them build their own IP.
- Provide information that is necessary to partners, but no more.
- Define the keystone and guard it within company walls.
- Limit the people who have access to the full information.
For details visit the research note.